How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your used hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are plenty of people suffering from loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a number of organizations out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- About 14% of the overall population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because neglected hearing loss has been associated with numerous health problems from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out all the time showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. These health issues can be prevented and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And the last persuasive point is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in earnings every single year. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by as much as 50%.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are many volunteer organizations and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.